Call for volunteers - improved installation experience on OS X, Windows, Linux/Unix

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Dec 18 00:55:02 GMT 2007

> Absolutely.  I kind of want to learn how to do this, so my current
> plan is that I'd like to get bzr + paramiko + svn-libs + svn python
> libs + bzr-svn + bzrtools in a installer.  With options on what to
> install when you install it. You should be able to select or deselect
> bzr-svn for example.

That would rock.

> 1) Do we want to do a universal installer?
> 2) What I'm planning on is for leopard only, since it includes a
> supported (by bzr) python.. if we want to create one for tiger, we
> need to package python into it also. Do we want to do that?

"mindstorms" on irc was just looking/asking for a Tiger dmg installer.
 It would be nice to provide one.  he/she thought it would be best not
to ship python, but rather just require people to already have it
installed and check for it at install time.  (Or maybe there's a
dependency mechanism in the Apple installer framework, though we might
want to support Python installed through a different mechanism like
Ports...)

One other thing - it'd be nice to get the dmg files and other
installers hosted on Launchpad's release page
<https://launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/1.0final> as some people may
look for the file there, and it may be up when your own server is
down.  I think anyone in the ~bzr group should be able to upload now.

--
Martin