Call for volunteers - improved installation experience on OS X, Windows, Linux/Unix

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Sun Dec 9 20:44:15 GMT 2007

> For extra credit..
> 1) Do we want to do a universal installer?
> 2) What I'm planning on is for leopard only, since it includes a
> supported (by bzr) python.. if we want to create one for tiger, we
> need to package python into it also. Do we want to do that?

I think that we do want a Universal installer if possible, since forcing the
build team (?) to keep a PowerPC and Intel Mac handy has shown to be problematic
for various other projects.  If the guy packaging your binary builds gets a new
Mac then you drop support for a still-common architecture.  Universal at the
build level is definitely the way to go.  Leopard's python should already be
Universal.

If we want to make Tiger packages, then correct pythons to build against are the
binary builds from python.org:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg and
http://python.org/ftp/python/2.4.4/python-2.4.4-macosx2006-10-18.dmg if we
really want to get ancient.