Call for volunteers - improved installation experience on OS X, Windows, Linux/Unix

Alex Popescu ☢ the.mindstorm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 01:52:53 GMT 2007

Hi all!

Firstly, I want to thank Martin for following up on this.

On Dec 18, 2007 2:55 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> > Absolutely.  I kind of want to learn how to do this, so my current
> > plan is that I'd like to get bzr + paramiko + svn-libs + svn python
> > libs + bzr-svn + bzrtools in a installer.  With options on what to
> > install when you install it. You should be able to select or deselect
> > bzr-svn for example.
>
> That would rock.

Indeed that would be cool. But not required :).

> > 1) Do we want to do a universal installer?
> > 2) What I'm planning on is for leopard only, since it includes a
> > supported (by bzr) python.. if we want to create one for tiger, we
> > need to package python into it also. Do we want to do that?
>
> "mindstorms" on irc was just looking/asking for a Tiger dmg installer.
>  It would be nice to provide one.  he/she thought it would be best not

Just a small clarification: I'm a he :-).

> to ship python, but rather just require people to already have it
> installed and check for it at install time.  (Or maybe there's a
> dependency mechanism in the Apple installer framework, though we might
> want to support Python installed through a different mechanism like
> Ports...)

Well, I think I've been a bit subjective on this, as I am using python
from time to time and usually have around a couple of versions (and
know how to setup the env, etc.). But for people not using python
this may be a weird requirement. So, if you can get 2 packages (1
including python and 1 without it), I guess this would fill all the
needs.

I am looking forward to hearing about the advance on this,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.