progress bar redesign

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 19 22:32:18 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 09:25 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Now, for display there are several interesting things. We don't want to
> > show 4 text strings:
> > 'pulling/pulling/transferring/find revisions'
> > is quite long, and further nesting would start to jump around hugely. In
> > fact, the WT element on the stack is only interesting so that we give
> > monotonically increasing progress when a bar is shown. The overall
> > operation name is interesting. And I think the lowest level operation is
> > probably something we can make be interesting with a little thought.
> >
> > So for this case, I'd like bzr to show:
> > / [======              ] Pulling [0.17/2]:Find revisions [depth 304]
>
> The object model sounds reasonable.  In your example here, I don't
> think we should show the numeric progress for "pulling", because it's
> not a real number, just equivalent to progress of the bar.

I think my geek factor was showing. Ok, scratch the counter for the top
level.

> It looks ugly when the bar resizes as the text changes.  I'd rather we
> just always make the bar say 30% of the screen width.  (Having it
> start large and then shrink would be a bit better than at present but
> still not great.)

I think its also ugly when you have e.g.
/ [======           ] short text.                                \n

Which is why I'd like to cap the bar on the longest output seen rather
than setting a manual figure up front.

> All the text should be in a consistent part of speech, eg "pulling:
> finding revisions"

Do you mean we should not have other text between the message sections,
or that they need to look and feel consistent?

-Rob