progress bar redesign

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Nov 19 23:00:32 GMT 2007

> > It looks ugly when the bar resizes as the text changes.  I'd rather we
> > just always make the bar say 30% of the screen width.  (Having it
> > start large and then shrink would be a bit better than at present but
> > still not great.)
>
> I think its also ugly when you have e.g.
> / [======           ] short text.                                \n
>
> Which is why I'd like to cap the bar on the longest output seen rather
> than setting a manual figure up front.

The thing is the text length will generally grow as we go from one
phase into another.  I think a 25-unit bar is enough to give some
progress indication, and it will often be more on wide terminals.  So,
can you please humor me and make it fixed for now?

> > All the text should be in a consistent part of speech, eg "pulling:
> > finding revisions"
>
> Do you mean we should not have other text between the message sections,
> or that they need to look and feel consistent?

I mean the texts should be in grammatical agreement; either "pulling;
finding" or "pull; find" but not mixed up.  I prefer the former.

I wouldn't outlaw having several numeric indicators but we should be discerning.

--
Martin