progress bar redesign

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Nov 19 22:25:05 GMT 2007

> Now, for display there are several interesting things. We don't want to
> show 4 text strings:
> 'pulling/pulling/transferring/find revisions'
> is quite long, and further nesting would start to jump around hugely. In
> fact, the WT element on the stack is only interesting so that we give
> monotonically increasing progress when a bar is shown. The overall
> operation name is interesting. And I think the lowest level operation is
> probably something we can make be interesting with a little thought.
>
> So for this case, I'd like bzr to show:
> / [======              ] Pulling [0.17/2]:Find revisions [depth 304]

The object model sounds reasonable.  In your example here, I don't
think we should show the numeric progress for "pulling", because it's
not a real number, just equivalent to progress of the bar.

It looks ugly when the bar resizes as the text changes.  I'd rather we
just always make the bar say 30% of the screen width.  (Having it
start large and then shrink would be a bit better than at present but
still not great.)

All the text should be in a consistent part of speech, eg "pulling:
finding revisions"

--
Martin