0.18: checking removes files automatically?

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Fri Aug 17 11:02:54 BST 2007

* Fri 2007-08-17 Martin Pool <mbp AT sourcefrog.net> INBOX
> On 8/17/07, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto AT cante.net> wrote:
>
> If you revert the files you'll get them back, same as svn.  Or
>
>   bzr deleted | xargs bzr revert
>
> will do it automatically.
>
>> Bzr assumes too much for a missing file (upon ci). The current
>> behavior does not preserve data, but causes headaches on accidents.
>> Is there a plan when this will be taken into roadmap?
>
> I am interested in having it change so that missing files (deleted
> with rm, not bzr rm) give an error, making sure that you meant to
> delete them.

I'd rather not see stopping an error (and make program stop), but only a
message like:

    missing FILENAME (but versioned)

while the program continues to process rest of the items.

With --strict, the stop on error would be okay.

> But I'm not sure what you would rather have happen if you deleted
> the files. They're not lost from history.

I know. I just was quite upset when ci removed the files when I haven't
really "flagged" them for removal:

    bzr rm .... (put that "-D" flag there; bzr status)
    bzr ci .... (do what is there to process; modified & flagged as deleted)

Jari