0.18: checking removes files automatically?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Aug 17 09:05:01 BST 2007

On 8/17/07, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto at cante.net> wrote:
> I think the current behavior is dangerous. In CVS, you could always
> accidentally do:
>
>     rm *            ;;  Oops, should have been "rm .*"
>
> Now problem. You restore the previous condition with:
>
>     cvs up
>
> Not so with bzr.

If you revert the files you'll get them back, same as svn.  Or

  bzr deleted | xargs bzr revert

will do it automatically.

> Bzr assumes too much for a missing file (upon ci). The current
> behavior does not preserve data, but causes headaches on accidents.
> Is there a plan when this will be taken into roadmap?

I am interested in having it change so that missing files (deleted
with rm, not bzr rm) give an error, making sure that you meant to
delete them.  But I'm not sure what you would rather have happen if
you deleted the files.  They're not lost from history.

--
Martin