[RFC] Add api changes..

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Jul 2 03:54:14 BST 2007

Looking at add, I'd like to propose:

- move _smart_add_tree to Tree.smart_add
(Not because we expect many trees to do different things but because its
pretty clear looking at it that it really is a facet of MutableTree.

- Move _prepare_file_list calls to the UI layer.

- Use _add within Tree.smart_add rather than inventory indirection.

- Preprocess the paths supplied by the user grabbing their dirnames,
shove them into a set and ensure they are all versioned first, This
removes the need to check on each individual path and I think will be a
win.

I think this will get us to where we wanted add to be in terms of API
cleanliness.

-Rob