[BUG] baz-import creating different inventory texts (ghosts? and corruption)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Mar 13 01:47:26 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:26 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > So we probably need some sort of resolution, since converters really are
> > a source of corruption for us.
>
> I really think we should look hard at addressing inventories and file
> texts by hash to avoid this class of problem.
>
> For importers it is pretty useful to be able to make up arbitrary
> revision ids, but that can still be done by treating them as basically
> like tags - references to objects that are actually stored by hash.
> You could still get disagreements on how
>
> This would require a change in how we handle old formats, at least
> within individual revision or inventory texts.  Rather than writing
> them back out in the new format, we would normally need to accept
> reading the old one.  That's probably possible.

I'm still strongly opposed to this. I dont think it makes solving the
problem easier: it does make it easier to detect when things are
*definately* different, but no easier to tell that they are the same.

As for how this occured, I think its due to having commit detect file
level merges, and the file level merge data was present or absent
alternately in the different conversions. This is something the convert
should be able to control.

-Rob