[RFC] Patch-RIO format

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 2 16:57:39 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I've been working on an email-armoured RIO format that patch will
ignore, for merge directives.  It is a challenge to avoid corruption,
yet still be easy to read.  I'm pretty happy with where it is now, but
I'd like to get comments.

Here's an example:

# cr: value with \r in it
# linebreak: linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-\
#   linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-linebreak-
# newlines: value
#       with
#       newlines
# ws: trailing whitespace \
#
# z: just a z

cr
- --
This shows that CRs are encoded as backslash-r.  (Backslash is encoded
as backslash-backslash.)

linebreak
- ---------
This shows that soft breaks are performed at hyphens, if possible.
(They are also done at spaces or slashes).

It also shows how soft breaks are done-- by ending the line with
backslash, and starting the next line indented.

newlines:
- ---------
This shows that newlines which continue a value are indented with tabs
(This comes from standard RIO).

ws
- --
This shows how trailing whitespace is handled-- basically, we insert a
bogus soft break, so that the line ends with a non-whitespace character.

- -
This is included to show that the blank line is part of the previous
value, ws.

I'm not overly fussed about trailing whitespace, because it only happens
when the original value ends with whitespace.  I don't consider this common.

Any comments?

Aaron