Permission denied on checkout

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Mon Feb 5 08:50:53 GMT 2007

Angela пишет:
> I've been trying to set up Bazaar on a couple of computers networked
> together where I code PHP stuff, and I've run into a bit of problem. I
> mostly followed the Shared Repository Tutorial, and so far I have this
> setup:
>
> On a server sort of computer (running Windows XP), I've set up a shared
> repository for a particular project. Then I copied over a "live" version of
> the project into the shared repository directory, and ran "bzr init" on it
> and added the files and did the first commit. Then I made a branch for the
> "stable" version, and then from the stable version, I made another branch
> for the development branch. Hence, for example, I have:
>
> D:\Projects\
> D:\Projects\project1\
> D:\Projects\project1\.bzr
> D:\Projects\project1\live\ (plus all the project files and directories)
> D:\Projects\project1\live\.bzr
> D:\Projects\project1\stable\ (plus all the project files and directories)
> D:\Projects\project1\stable\.bzr
> D:\Projects\project1\devt\ (plus all the project files and directories)
> D:\Projects\project1\devt\.bzr
>
> Now, I shared this last branch (the devt branch) across the network as
> "project1" so that I can checkout from it from other computers using "bzr
> checkout \\server\project1". The idea is all my work will be in devt
> until I
> deem it's all stable, and then I put them into the stable branch, and later
> on when I finally get to putting it into the live script... yeah.
> Unfortunately, it failed. I also tried making a branch ("bzr branch
> \\server\project1") but it also failed. Both times, the following error
> occurred:
>
> bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: u'//server/.bzr/branch-format': [Errno 13]
> Permission denied: u'//server/.bzr/branch-format'
>
> I don't know what's wrong. I know that "bzr checkout \\server\somefolder"
> works, as before all this I had tried the same thing on a branch I
> initialized (but not in a shared repository) and shared across the network.

You need to share 'project1' folder, instead of only 'devt'.
Shared repository holds many data in 'project1/.bzr' and bzr *should*
have access to this folder. But unfortunately bzr cannot reach this directory
if you don't share 'project1'. This means that you need to share all
your repository and therefore all your branches inside this repository.
I hope it's not the problem to you.

> As a note, I tried this command: "bzr checkout \\server\project1\ project1"
> and got the following error:

The command itself has error: you need to checkout branch instead of
whole repository (you cannot checkout the repository):

bzr checkout \\server\project1\devt project1

> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.IndexError: string index out of range

This error I already fix in current development branch of bzr.
My patch lands today.
So next release (26 February) will have fix inside.

However I can upload new version with this fix if you wish to test it.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 650, in run_bzr_catch_errors
>  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 612, in run_bzr
>  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 304, in run_argv_aliases
>  File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 809, in run
>  File "bzrlib\branch.pyc", line 120, in open
>  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 1003, in open_branch
>  File "bzrlib\branch.pyc", line 830, in open
>  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 385, in find_repository
>  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 555, in open_containing_from_transport
>  File "bzrlib\transport\local.pyc", line 78, in clone
>  File "bzrlib\transport\local.pyc", line 65, in __init__
>  File "bzrlib\urlutils.pyc", line 189, in _win32_local_path_from_url
> IndexError: string index out of range
>
> bzr 0.14.0 on python 2.5.0.final.0 (win32)
> arguments: ['bzr', 'checkout', '\\\\server\\project1\\', 'project1']
>
> It was "fixed" when I left off the trailing slash in the from_location
> path,
> although naturally my original error still occurred.

What you mean when you say "fixed"?

> Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. I'm liking what I
> see
> from Bazaar so far, thank you so much to everyone who's instrumental to its
> creation and maintenance. :)
>
> Angela
>
> PS. I am quite new to version control systems, and I've never used one
> before. Just thought it might be a good idea to point that out right off
> the
> bat. :) Please be kind, and if you have any suggestions for a better
> implementation, I would love to hear it.

Alexander