Permission denied on checkout

Angela seasonalplume at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 08:11:18 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I've been trying to set up Bazaar on a couple of computers networked
together where I code PHP stuff, and I've run into a bit of problem. I
mostly followed the Shared Repository Tutorial, and so far I have this
setup:

On a server sort of computer (running Windows XP), I've set up a shared
repository for a particular project. Then I copied over a "live" version of
the project into the shared repository directory, and ran "bzr init" on it
and added the files and did the first commit. Then I made a branch for the
"stable" version, and then from the stable version, I made another branch
for the development branch. Hence, for example, I have:

D:\Projects\
D:\Projects\project1\
D:\Projects\project1\.bzr
D:\Projects\project1\live\ (plus all the project files and directories)
D:\Projects\project1\live\.bzr
D:\Projects\project1\stable\ (plus all the project files and directories)
D:\Projects\project1\stable\.bzr
D:\Projects\project1\devt\ (plus all the project files and directories)
D:\Projects\project1\devt\.bzr

Now, I shared this last branch (the devt branch) across the network as
"project1" so that I can checkout from it from other computers using "bzr
checkout \\server\project1". The idea is all my work will be in devt until I
deem it's all stable, and then I put them into the stable branch, and later
on when I finally get to putting it into the live script... yeah.
Unfortunately, it failed. I also tried making a branch ("bzr branch
\\server\project1") but it also failed. Both times, the following error
occurred:

bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: u'//server/.bzr/branch-format': [Errno 13]
Permission denied: u'//server/.bzr/branch-format'

I don't know what's wrong. I know that "bzr checkout \\server\somefolder"
works, as before all this I had tried the same thing on a branch I
initialized (but not in a shared repository) and shared across the network.

As a note, I tried this command: "bzr checkout \\server\project1\ project1"
and got the following error:

bzr: ERROR: exceptions.IndexError: string index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 650, in run_bzr_catch_errors
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 612, in run_bzr
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyc", line 304, in run_argv_aliases
  File "bzrlib\builtins.pyc", line 809, in run
  File "bzrlib\branch.pyc", line 120, in open
  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 1003, in open_branch
  File "bzrlib\branch.pyc", line 830, in open
  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 385, in find_repository
  File "bzrlib\bzrdir.pyc", line 555, in open_containing_from_transport
  File "bzrlib\transport\local.pyc", line 78, in clone
  File "bzrlib\transport\local.pyc", line 65, in __init__
  File "bzrlib\urlutils.pyc", line 189, in _win32_local_path_from_url
IndexError: string index out of range

bzr 0.14.0 on python 2.5.0.final.0 (win32)
arguments: ['bzr', 'checkout', '\\\\server\\project1\\', 'project1']

It was "fixed" when I left off the trailing slash in the from_location path,
although naturally my original error still occurred.

Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. I'm liking what I see
from Bazaar so far, thank you so much to everyone who's instrumental to its
creation and maintenance. :)

Angela

PS. I am quite new to version control systems, and I've never used one
before. Just thought it might be a good idea to point that out right off the
bat. :) Please be kind, and if you have any suggestions for a better
implementation, I would love to hear it.

--
And I write in my seasonal plume.
http://seasonalplume.net