bzr 0.13.0 ImportError: No module named pwd

eltronic at juno.com eltronic at juno.com
Sat Jan 6 11:36:56 GMT 2007

this is really more of a python problem,
after install from source
from a dos wiindow win9x
  File "\PYTHON24\lib\site-packages\bzrlib\config.py", line 705, in _auto
_user_id
    realname = username = getpass.getuser().decode(bzrlib.user_encoding)

***this must be from the registry there is nothing there anymore
  File "C:\C\PY\PYTHON24\lib\getpass.py", line 101, in getuser
    import pwd
ImportError: No module named pwd
bzr 0.13.0 on python 2.4.1.candidate.1 (win32)
arguments: ['f:/c/py/bzr', 'init', '.']
**
getuser is broken on win9x if USER or other env variable not set.
it found my home only because i have set HOME, it may fail there too.
maybe a note can be made?
in the docs which suggest creating .bazar
seems to be more like $HOME/bazar/2.0/
don't feel bad, there are few programs that get this right on windows.
IPython might be a model

none of the error messages after the point of failure make sense.
init appears to suceed even though it has no user set
and of course running init again fails too.
maybe it should clean up and suggest creating a default conf file.
and entering an email at least.
maybe another option that shows what it knows about its local defaults.
most of the error scrolled past where I could copy it on a dos window.
if bzr will ask to send a report. maybe it should create bzrreport.txt

thanks for the continuing work.