[RFC] <link rel> support for bazaar?

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Thu Aug 31 12:13:14 BST 2006

On 31/08/06, Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr> wrote:
> Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> >> Actually, I think the plan is for me to get of my butt and get redirects
> >> working. And then Launchpad will implement such that a request for:
> >> https://launchpad.net/people/v-ladeuil/+branch/bzr.webdav/trunk/.bzr/branch-format
> >>
> >> Will redirect to the correct location.
> >
> > I am glad that there's a solution planned for Launchpad.  Still, <link
> > rel> support could be handy for users who don't have control over redirects.
>
> In both cases, it would be nice to avoid having to pay this round trip
> for _each_ operation. I think things like push_location, parent, ...
> should use the actual redirected URL. Like my browser rewrites
> www.launchpad.net into launchpad.net without "www".

HTTP supports both temporary and permanent redirects to cover this
kind of distinction, and it would be nice for Bazaar to handle the
distinction too.  For a temporary redirect, Bazaar would remember the
URL given by the user.  For a permanent redirect, Bazaar would
remember the target URL.

It would also be nice to handle cross-scheme redirects too, so that an
HTTP server could redirect to some other scheme (FTP, Bazaar
smart-server protocol, etc), so it would be useful if the
implementation doesn't limit redirects to the same transport.

James.