problems with bzr 0.10 and paramiko sftp transfer

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Aug 29 19:51:39 BST 2006

Lukáš Lalinský wrote:

> Had to use the LP mirror, I get this error when using your server:
>
> F:\tmp>bzr branch http://www.lag.net/paramiko/bzr/paramiko/
> bzr: ERROR: Knit header error: '\n' unexpected
>
> But yes, with trunk it works fine.
>
>> That would break compatibility with older versions, though, which a lot
>> of the bzr developers are using.  Since 1.6.2 (released only about a
>> week ago) is the first 1.6 that worked well with bzr, I think it would
>> be totally unfair to require 1.6 quite yet.  I do have a "paramiko 1.6"
>> branch of bzr, though, if you're interested.[2]  It's at least a few
>> weeks out of date right now.
>
> Hm, I was using 1.6 from when I installed bzr first time and it always worked
> without problems for me. I actually had some problems with 1.5, but I can't
> remember what exactly was it.
>
> -Lukáš

There were specific bugs with bzr-0.8.2 and paramiko > 1.5.5. bzr's
readv() would mess up because it requested a prefetch() of the whole
file, but then would request just specific chunks, and request them out
of order. Paramiko 1.6.2+ supports that, and bzr-0.9 doesn't do it any
more. So we have a little bit of both sides fixing the problem :)