[win32] selftest of latest bzr.dev with encodings improvements

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Jun 9 20:38:31 BST 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> It's very good that encodings work finally lands into main bzr.dev.
>
> But there is some minor issues with selftest:
>
> 1) Added new test that invoke external editor and simply wait (it called
> something like test_delete_commit_message -- I don't remember exactly).
> Because it require of intervention of the user, I think it's prevent to
> run selftest in automatic mode. Furthermore, I run selftest in separate
> console window and then work on other tasks, because selftest took ~30
> min on my machine. So I cannot configure that I need to do something
> interactive. I think this test should be invoked explicitly via separate
> command or something like 'bzr selftest --interactive-tests' but not in
> automatic mode when overall selftest suite running.

We definitely should not run any commands that require interaction in
the default test suite.
I'm not sure why on Linux we don't have this problem, but if you can
give the exact test which is hanging, we will definitely fix that.

> 2) Almost all encoding tests failed on my russian windows machine, but
> tests for cp1251 (this is russian encoding) passed. Slightly strange and
> funny.

Hmm... In general the tests should be written such that if it cannot
round-trip the desired Unicode names, the test skips itself, rather than
failing. I know I check for being able to write to the filesystem. I may
be failing to check for output encodings.