Public Impressions

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri May 5 15:40:16 BST 2006

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:12:50 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Under what circumstance is sftp not working? Are you saying it doesn't
>> work when getting from another machine, or is sftp access to the local
>> machine failing?
>
> Well, it only got annoying enough today, so I was reserving some time next
> week to debug and report it :-)
>
> I have paramiko and pycrypto installed and tested on my windows python;
> and bzr doesn't complain that it needs paramiko.  But when I try a branch
> url with sftp:// it gives me an error message that sounds like it's trying
> to use the url as a local filename.  I don't know what exactly is
> happening... I'll tell you Monday.

Sounds funny. I know I use bzr with sftp, but I have cygwin installed,
so it uses the openssh as the ssh transport. It may be an issue with
paramiko's ssh implementation.

>> What sftp server are you using? I would be interested in figuring out
>> what isn't working for you and how to get it working again.
>
> That's openssh on the company's linux-based server.

Again, I do this and it works fine, but I haven't stress tested it recently.

>> As for Window's crappy shell, you might try rxvt that comes with cygwin.
>
> I use Putty, there's a patch somewhere for it to act as a cygwin terminal.
> But some console apps are unhappy about it, and open a new (windows)
> console box when I run them.  Notably, Django :-/
>
> It's not the only reason though... Windows emacs is too full of
> idiosyncrasies for my liking... and cygwin emacs is too slow.  Running
> Apache on windows is reportedly not too hard, but it's not something I
> want to invest time on learning, since it's just a secondary tool for my
> job.  And the list goes on.

I got Apache running at one point in time. It wasn't too bad, though
dependencies were a pain. (PHP5 was available for only one binary, which
wasn't the same one as OpenSSL, and if you custom compile, you have to
compile everything, ... Eventually I found a non-official website which
supported both openssl & php5)

>> I found a bug in how bzr handles the executable bit, but it
>> generally gets things right.
>
> Oh yeah, I forgot that one.  Everytime I merge from windows to a real OS,
> bzr complains that I changed the permissions of all files in the tree :-/
> I'm getting around that one more or less decently now, by pushing my
> branch with cygwin's rsync.  (I don't know what magic it does, but it
> doesn't throw my perms on the blender.)

Well, the latest dev snapshot of bzr seems to at least leave permission
bits alone as it should. (There was a weird bug where files with
executable bit would flip-flop every 'bzr revert').

If you are using bzr under cygwin, cygwin actually supports 'chmod' and
thus should keep track of the permission bits properly.

Something seems funny about your specific bug. If you can get it to be
reproducible, I'm sure we'd take a whack at it.

> best,
>                                                Lalo Martins

Thanks for giving us the heads up at least.