Introductory Document For New Developers

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:19:05 BST 2006

2006/4/15, Declan McGrath <declan.mcgrath at divilment.com>:
> Hiya,
>
> The amount of documentation available on using Bazaar through the wiki
> is great. I especially like the Bzr Glossary. I tried to send this
> message last week, but I think that my mail clients having a bit of
> trouble so apologies if you've this is the second time it's posted.
> I've just updated that 'Introductory Developer' document and
> stuck it on the wiki at
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/NewDeveloperIntroduction
>
> Just a few questions. I'm trying to write up a piece on getting the latest
> 'development' copy of Bazaar. I have a few queries. On the official
> downloads page it says
>
> > Development
> > Devel Branch rsync -av bazaar-vcs.org::bazaar-ng/bzr/bzr.dev . (Tree is out of date; use revert or checkout to get a WorkingTree)
> > Devel Branch bzr branch [WWW] http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev
>

> 1. Will running either of these commands bring down the same code base?
> The comment "(Tree is out of date; use revert or checkout to get a
> WorkingTree)" makes it sound as if this link is outdated - what does
> this comment mean?

When you download the branch you get both revisions/revision histories
and a working tree.  This means that you do get the correct
revision/revision histories, but not the correct working tree.  Use
"bzr revert" to get to the correct working tree.

See it like you would get a full svn branch, but it's checked out with
"svn co -r oldrev".  To get to the latest revision, run bzr revert.

> 2. The local directory '.' at the end of the rsync command completely
> (and frustratingly) eluded me. Would it be ok to quote the command so
> that it's obvious that the '.' is part of the command, not part of the
> sentence, for example
> 'rsync -av bazaar-vcs.org::bazaar-ng/bzr/bzr.dev .'

I agree

> 3. When I managed to rsync down this directory, I looked in the README
> file, whose first line reads 'Release notes for Bazaar-NG 0.6'. This is
> confusing as the stable tarball release is 0.7. Why is the stable
> tarball 0.1 ahead of the development version?

run bzr revert.

> 4. Would it be possible to also include a nightly build as a tarball of
> the latest development copy (let's say a developer just wants to see the
> latest code that builds but doesn't have bzr already installed and
> doesn't have or know about rsync). I think it would be nice as it is a
> familiar way of obtaining code for *NIX developers.

I don't see the need but I also don't object.  If you want to learn
how to use bzr, the least you can do is learn how to get it via bzr.

/Erik