Introductory Document For New Developers

Olaf Conradi oohlaf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:24:55 BST 2006

On 15/04/06, Declan McGrath <declan.mcgrath at divilment.com> wrote:
> > Development
> > Devel Branch rsync -av bazaar-vcs.org::bazaar-ng/bzr/bzr.dev . (Tree is out of date; use revert or checkout to get a WorkingTree)
> > Devel Branch bzr branch [WWW] http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev
>
> 1. Will running either of these commands bring down the same code base?
> The comment "(Tree is out of date; use revert or checkout to get a
> WorkingTree)" makes it sound as if this link is outdated - what does
> this comment mean?

I clarified the text a bit. The wording was a bit awkward.

"The main development branch is kept in a branch format compatible
with older bzr clients (pre 0.8). When developers merge new revisions
into this branch, the WorkingTree is not updated. If you use rsync to
download, be sure to bzr revert to update the WorkingTree of your
copy."

> 2. The local directory '.' at the end of the rsync command completely
> (and frustratingly) eluded me. Would it be ok to quote the command so
> that it's obvious that the '.' is part of the command, not part of the
> sentence, for example
> 'rsync -av bazaar-vcs.org::bazaar-ng/bzr/bzr.dev .'

I moved the text outside the table so it becomes more visible.

> 3. When I managed to rsync down this directory, I looked in the README
> file, whose first line reads 'Release notes for Bazaar-NG 0.6'. This is
> confusing as the stable tarball release is 0.7.

I hope the new text above explained this now.

> Why is the stable tarball 0.1 ahead of the development version?

Which tarball? I assume you meant the 0.8rc1 tarball. Again, you were
seeing an outdated working tree of the develepment branch.

Cheers
 -Olaf