Is bzr *appropriate* and *ready* for me?

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Feb 12 17:54:04 GMT 2006

Jari Aalto wrote:

> Excellent.
>
> Would someone please draw some pictures on all these, since as new
> user (to distributed VCS), I'm quite confused about the jargon that
> swims through my eyes in this list
>
>       - bound branches?
>       - shelve?           (can't stick ths concept to anything familiar
>                            like RCS, CVs, SVN ..)
>       - <many other concepts>
>
> I would lend my help to draw [1], but I don't understand enough to put
> it in pictures.
>
> Jari

I would love to help you understand so that you could draw pictures. The
problem is that I don't know how to represent lots of the ideas.

How does one represent having 2 standalone branches, which are bound
together?

I think the first thing to depict is the concepts of
repository/branch/working tree/checkout, etc.

I also realize that we are overloading 'repository', as we have used it
as both the collection of branches (archive), and the local ancestral
information.

I know Denys proposed 'store', but we already have that concept as well. :)

I think the first thing is to present the concept of a location where we
store the historical information, and then that there is another
location where we store the 'line of development', and then another for
the information about the current working tree (the working inventory,
for example).

And then a standalone branch can be represented as putting all 3 things
next to each other.

And you can show that a 'bound branch' binds the local 'line of
development' to the remote 'line of development', but does not link the
'current working trees'. (It also doesn't truly link the historical
information either. You can certainly have different texts in your
weaves, though updating generally merges everything together. Knits will
probably behave differently, though).

Then you can have a 'checkout' which shows that it references the 'line
of development' and 'historical information' in another location.
Without keeping a local copy.

A 'shelf' can be shown as sort of an 'on-the-side' sort of thing,
relative to the working directory. It doesn't go into the history, or
line of development, just off to the side while you work on something else.

Does that give you a start?