bzr 0.7 release candidate 2

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jan 19 02:10:38 GMT 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2006, Wouter van Heyst <larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org> wrote:

>>>Did you intend to include all of the ancestry? It makes the tarball 3Mb,
>>>which isn't terrible, though the checkout is 35M.
>>>
>>>I like being able to see the ancestry of the branch, we just haven't
>>>done releases this way in the past.
>

> I thought it'd be good to have the full history available  in a tarball for those who
> want it, but I probably should have also put up one without it.  I'll
> move them into say http://bazaar-ng.org/pkg/full-histories/

It is very nice to have for developers, especially an rc release. But a
user release is probably better without the history.

>>Perhaps related, there is now a tar.bz2 instead of a gz, and no zip. Is
>>this intentional?
>

> Yes, I used that because it was larger.  I'll keep doing the releases
> without history with plain gzip and zip.
>
> I'll probably put up the history in bzip2 and rzip form.  rzip does
> better but apparently doesn't build on Windows yet.

Is 'rzip' like LZMA? Which has 7zip? (There should be a unix 7za program
which I think makes compatible archives (I believe lzma is not compatible)).
LZMA generally takes longer to compress than bzip2, but is 2x faster at
uncompressing, and does better at compression. So it is good for archive
stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:LZMA
Scroll to the bottom and they have a "Comparison of compression ratio"
and uncompression speeds.