Weave Insert Time

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 5 20:32:17 BST 2005

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>>You can see the resultant graph here:
>>http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/other/RevisionInsertTime.png
>

> Nice graph!
>

>>Basically, it looks like the time to insert one revision is very close
>>to O(N) where N is the number of revisions already in the weave. I think
>>that makes it O(N^2) when you are creating the weave for the first time.
>

> One thing I'm wondering is: would it be O(N), where N is the number of
> revisions, or O(N), where N is the number of lines in the weave?
> In other words, I'm curious about what would happen with that graph if
> you changed the size of the log messages in the revision, for instance.

I wrote a new plugin, available here:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/plugins/timeinventory-weave/

It performs a whole bunch of operations on the inventory of the current
weavefile, and creates a comma separated file with all the times and
lengths, and any other neat thing that I could think of.

Be forewarned, it is pretty slow (one of the things I optionally do is
to extract *all* of the entries in the inventory).

I'm letting it run right now, so I don't know all the information about
how long different things are going to be.

But I thought I would let people know about the plugin, so they can play
around with their own branches.

Actually, it could easily be adapted to take a weave file, and produce a
second test weave file, and perform similar operations. So that we could
perform the test against an inventory or a regular text file, etc.

But I thought inventories were the most interesting, and it also gives
me the opportunity to check on some inventory read/write times.