Weave Insert Time

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 5 21:12:15 BST 2005

John A Meinel wrote:
> Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>
>>>You can see the resultant graph here:
>>>http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/other/RevisionInsertTime.png
>>

>>Nice graph!
>>

>>>Basically, it looks like the time to insert one revision is very close
>>>to O(N) where N is the number of revisions already in the weave. I think
>>>that makes it O(N^2) when you are creating the weave for the first time.
>>

>>One thing I'm wondering is: would it be O(N), where N is the number of
>>revisions, or O(N), where N is the number of lines in the weave?
>>In other words, I'm curious about what would happen with that graph if
>>you changed the size of the log messages in the revision, for instance.
>>

> I wrote a new plugin, available here:
> http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/plugins/timeinventory-weave/

I have some plots. Available here:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/other/timing/

The .csv is the raw data file.

Right now, just for my bzr-sax branch, where each attribute gets its own
line.

The most interenting graph to me is the weavelines.png
Which shows how the number of line starts to explode around 1500 or so.
I think that is mostly because newformat started, and in general bzr got
a bunch more committers at that time.