Weave Insert Time

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 5 19:32:39 BST 2005

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>>You can see the resultant graph here:
>>http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/other/RevisionInsertTime.png
>

> Nice graph!
>

>>Basically, it looks like the time to insert one revision is very close
>>to O(N) where N is the number of revisions already in the weave. I think
>>that makes it O(N^2) when you are creating the weave for the first time.
>

> One thing I'm wondering is: would it be O(N), where N is the number of
> revisions, or O(N), where N is the number of lines in the weave?
> In other words, I'm curious about what would happen with that graph if
> you changed the size of the log messages in the revision, for instance.

Well, there are certainly some revisions which take a lot more
processing. I think these mostly happen when there is a merge, but also
my conversion counter might count weird if it has to switch and do extra
history. I'm not really sure what causes the spikes.

I could certainly include some sort of line counter when I'm doing the
conversions. And then do an XY n-lines vs time plot. I'll keep that in
mind when I get around to testing inventory extraction and insertion.
(Since it is a much more interesting weave than the revision weave.)