Centralized Storage, round 2

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Sep 16 13:08:46 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 08:37 +1000, Benno wrote:

> Getting a team of developers to switch to a new model and new set of
> options is not terribly enticing. It requires a lot of work in redocumenting
> procedures, rewriting scripts and retraining users. Also it means fighting
> a lot of deeloper resistance. Having gone from cvs->tla->baz and now having
> to move to something else is quite frustrating. Not to mention having to
> explain all these changes to the boss, "hey, but you said that baz solves our
> problems, and is being actively maintained, now you're telling me we have to
> switch, again?".

Thats completely understandable. There are some unavoidable changes in
moving from the tla design to the -ng design, but I would like to make
that as simple as possible. Perhaps you can document some of how you
work now, so we can use that as input to the final system ?

> I don't care too much about the latency, in a team sitting in the one office
> setting, the latency to a server isn't really too much of an issue. But
> the advantage of having everything stored centrally so all developers can
> access it, and so that it is centrally backed up, far outweighs the latency
> issue.

So you want each commit to be immediately available to other
developers ?

Sounds to me that that centralised storage isn't really the key here;
its having the branches in a central place that you can
backup/access/merge from.

At Canonical, for the launchpad development, our baz archives are all in
one place on a single server (/home/warthogs/archives/ARCHIVENAME/). The
plan for our bzr transition is to put all the branches in nearly the
same place
(/home/warthogs/archives/USERNAME/$CATEGORY/[$VERSION/]/$BRANCH). This
will be inefficient without central storage, but will be easy to use. As
our developers currently mirror their archives up, they will be using
push as the equivalent to 'mirror', and I'll be doing a 'post commit
hook' to make this happen automatically for those who want that.

Does that sounds like a good fit for you?

Rob