Moving to bzr (was: Centralized Storage, round 2)

Benno benjl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 00:51:42 BST 2005

On Wed Sep 14, 2005 at 19:06:43 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>Benno wrote:
>> Getting a team of developers to switch to a new model and new set of
>> options is not terribly enticing.
>>
>> It is going to be bad enough staging a transformation of the backend from
>> one format to another, and getting everyone to change clients at the same time,
>> but also having to get everyone to switch development model, and interface
>> is going to make a switch very difficult.
>
>> ...I guess I need to start
>> getting the hands dirty again now that baz is deprecated.
>
>Baz is still being actively maintained, and will be for a while yet.
>You don't have to switch if it's working well for you.  Even when
>Canonical stops funding baz, it's quite possible that someone from the
>community will step up to the plate and take over.

That's the beauty of open source right ;)

>Robert is currently working on dogfooding-- getting bzr to a state in
>which Canonical is able to switch to it.  Conveniently enough, the
>changes he's making will also make it possible for my company,
>Panometrics, to switch, and our model is more like what you're describing.
>
>So you may wish to sit back and let others be the ginuea pigs, so that
>most of the issues have been solved by the time you switch.
>
>I hope that when and if you transition to bzr, it will be because bzr
>offers compelling advantages to you, not from a sense that you've been
>forced to switch.

Yeah sure, I mean baz 1.4 is working fine for me currently, but since
a lot of work in being put into bzr I'd really like it to become something
that I can use.

I want to see bzr succeed, and I think thinking about how to get people
to move to it, whether from baz, git, cvs, darcs, Bitkeeper is important,
and saying "well, you just need to do a bzr pull", is underestimating
the effort involved in switching revision control systems.

Cheers,

Benno