FEATURE REQ: group common commands under 'ls' instead of separate commands

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sat Sep 10 20:03:40 BST 2005

Jan Hudec wrote:
> There is significant difference between status and inventory, or at least it
> is in bazaar and I'd suppose bazaar-ng wants to keep it: status prints which
> files were changed (and added and deleted), while inventory prints which
> files are versioned (and ignored and unknown).

Hm. I don't see that big a difference. Both commands seem to me to be
telling me about individual files in the working tree and in the repo,
and how their states are different between those two locations.

If that's the only difference, I would still vote to combine them. I
can't think of why I wouldn't want a single command to tell me all that.

> The last one, ls, is similar to inventory, but it operates on checked-in
> revisions (either local or remote), while inventory operates on the working
> copy. So ls does not have any unversioned entries to bother with. This agrees
> with how subversion uses the 'ls' command.

Same here. Just more variations on the same theme, so I would fold ls in
with one or both of the other two.

I suspect it really boils down to how you feel about having lots of
commands. Some folks, probably including most folks who used tla, tend
to like lots of commands. Other folks, like me, prefer fewer.

Kevin