FEATURE REQ: group common commands under 'ls' instead of separate commands

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Sat Sep 10 16:20:42 BST 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:25:33 -0400, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Jari Aalto wrote:
> >I would like to propose changing this into common "list" command instead,
> >which could be easily extended with aliases etc. That is:
> >
> >      bzr ls deleted
> >      bzr ls ignored
> >      bzr ls unknows
> >

> I like the idea of removing extraneous commands. In this case, I note
> that we already have bzr status (with aliases stat and st), bzr
> inventory, and (undocumented?) bzr ls. They all sound like they are
> doing pretty much the same thing. Then we add bzr deleted, bzr
> directories, bzr ignored, bzr renames, and bzr unknowns. That seems like
> ten commands, all doing basically the same thing.
>
> Is there a valuable distinction between status, inventory, and ls? If
> so, it should be documented. Or combined into one command with options.
>
> Wouldn't it be logical to extends bzr status (or whichever command is
> kept), with --deleted (-d), --ignored (-i) etc to filter the results?
> That could eliminate the other extra commands.

There is significant difference between status and inventory, or at least it
is in bazaar and I'd suppose bazaar-ng wants to keep it: status prints which
files were changed (and added and deleted), while inventory prints which
files are versioned (and ignored and unknown).

That means, that ignored and unknowns should be options of inventory (as
they are in bazaar). For deleted, it seems to belong to status and probably
needs splitting in two options -- one for showing missing files (that are
supposed to be there, but are not), and another for showing deleted files
(that bzr was told to delete).

The last one, ls, is similar to inventory, but it operates on checked-in
revisions (either local or remote), while inventory operates on the working
copy. So ls does not have any unversioned entries to bother with. This agrees
with how subversion uses the 'ls' command.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>