FEATURE REQ: group common commands under 'ls' instead of separate commands

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sat Sep 10 15:25:33 BST 2005

Jari Aalto wrote:
> I would like to propose changing this into common "list" command instead,
> which could be easily extended with aliases etc. That is:
>
>       bzr ls deleted
>       bzr ls ignored
>       bzr ls unknows

I like the idea of removing extraneous commands. In this case, I note
that we already have bzr status (with aliases stat and st), bzr
inventory, and (undocumented?) bzr ls. They all sound like they are
doing pretty much the same thing. Then we add bzr deleted, bzr
directories, bzr ignored, bzr renames, and bzr unknowns. That seems like
ten commands, all doing basically the same thing.

Is there a valuable distinction between status, inventory, and ls? If
so, it should be documented. Or combined into one command with options.

Wouldn't it be logical to extends bzr status (or whichever command is
kept), with --deleted (-d), --ignored (-i) etc to filter the results?
That could eliminate the other extra commands.

Cheers,

Kevin

P.S. I personally dislike "ls". Probably because of my decades of MSDOS
and Windows experience before switching to Linux. I still use "dir" at
the command line instead of ls. So let's keep ls hidden or make it an alias.