A few questions/potential issues in Bazaar-NG

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Sun Aug 21 19:51:05 BST 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:08:25 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
> Matthieu Moy wrote:
> >Wouter van Heyst <larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org> writes:
> >You can access an archive for read and write, potentially concurrent,
> >the same way for ftp, sftp, WebDAV, and local archives. HTTP archives
> >are off course read-only.
> >
> >(The WebDAV is a typical useless feature for 95% of the world, but it
> >is THE killer feature for people like me often working behind a
> >firewall with HTTP proxy).

Quite many people behind proxies actually have the OPTIONS, PROPFIND and
other WebDAV methods (these two are necessary even for reading) forbidden or
not supported on the proxy, so for these people a simple CGI invoked over
plain HTTP is a lot better. The only real advantage of WebDAV I have found is
that WebDAV is built into Windows and there is davfs2 for Linux, so people
can edit documents directly on the server.

> I think web-dav would be possible, and probably pretty easy to do (my
> patch adds a pfs-like layer). But I don't really know webdav, or have a
> need to implement it. Though I'm guessing if it is desirable, it will be
> done.

I have seen some work in progress for python. There is a server library,
which unfortunately has latest news from year 2000
(http://www.comlounge.net/webdav/) and an even older server implementation
(http://sandbox.xerox.com/webdav/).

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>