[apparmor] logs with name="not an absolute path" or name=HEXSTRING

apparmor at raf.org apparmor at raf.org
Wed Dec 20 02:56:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

debian9 (with auditd)
apparmor-2.11.0-3
apparmor-profiles-2.11.0-3
apparmor-profiles-extra-1.11

I'm seeing odd apparmor log messages where the name parameter
is not an absolute file system path.

They look like:

  type=AVC msg=audit(1513725614.403:1142439): apparmor="ALLOWED"
  operation="getattr" info="Failed name lookup - disconnected path"
  error=-13 profile="/usr/lib/dovecot/imap"
  name="var/vmailboxes/user at domain.com/Maildir/dovecot.index.log"
  pid=21232 comm="imap" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=104 ouid=104

There is a /var/vmailboxes... and I have rules for it.

Any idea why the leading / is missing from the log message?

It's a syntax error to have a rule that isn't for an absolute path.

I'm also seeing log messages where the name is a hex string
representation of a path (without double quotes).

e.g. name=7661722F766D616...

Is there a way to prevent this.
It means I need to decode paths in log messages before
I can add new rules to make the log messages go away.

cheers,
raf