[apparmor] [opensuse-project] Google Summer of Code'13 accepted student

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Mon Jun 3 19:08:13 UTC 2013

On 06/01/2013 03:30 AM, Kshitij Gupta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Okay, I'm assured that I wont be getting anybody mad my by mails. Hopefully I wont make it to 200 mails a day. ;-)
>
> @Seth @Christian okay, I'll try my hands at the wiki.apparmor.net <http://wiki.apparmor.net> in a day or two and see what I can do to make a suggestion/idea of it.
>
> @Christian there's the first module [1] I talked about yesterday. I know its tiny compared to what I have to write, but I'd still like feedback on the style, so I can adjust myself (like your views on docstrings, whether you would prefer string.split over the re module etc). I have left a doubt as comments in the module maybe somebody can answer that.

So just a few general comments

I don't care either way about docstrings, though reST seems to be popular in
the python world. Basically I find auto generated documentation useless if
you have the source. In opensource what counts is good commenting and if you
have your comments in a format that can be used to autogenerate docs great,
but its not really important. I NEVER look at autogenerated docs unless I
have no other choice. And I feel like strangling people who point me at
autogenerated docs as Documentation for a project. When I am looking for docs
its something at a different level than code and comments in code. Of course
when you are dealing with a proprietary code base then a doc string based
approach is better than no docs. Again this should not really be an issue
for opensource, choose the format that suites you and just try to make good
comments.

string.split is simple and has its place, basically I have no qualms about
using either/or both as is appropriate. If string.split makes the code
cleaner and easier to read use it, if re is the right choice use it. There
will be points where you need to use re so you will be including the re
module anyways.

The logprof.conf config format is awful close to that supported by python's
ConfigParser http://docs.python.org/2/library/configparser.html, I'd look at
that and double check whether we can't just use that

For writing a conf file (or any small file you really care about), ideally
you create a temp copy on write and then move it into place so you don't
trash the original file if there is an error.

> Also, just out of curiosity why was the utility package in perl named Immunix? Any specific reasons behind it?

Long ago Immunix was the company/Linux variant that apparmor (at the time it
was called subdomain) was being developed at/for. Immunix was aquired by
Novell (suse) and subdomain was renamed to apparmor and opensourced

There is no reason to retain the Immunix name in anything we do