[ubuntu-art] [LAST MINUTE RUSH] Component -- LOGO

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 13:34:32 BST 2006

> On Oct 2, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Étienne Bersac wrote:
> Oh yes ! one another last minute rush :) That awake us some good
> souvenirs of June :)

I appreciate your frustration Et -- but we must remember
that for a number of reasons, this cycle was more about
trying to establish a working relationship.  Unfortunately,
as has been the case long before Dapper, the Ubuntu look
/ feel seems to get backburnered until it is _absolutely_
necessary to deal with it.  This is probably a crossed
byproduct of a genuine lack of respect for the design
implementation process _and_ some extremely busy
schedules.

That said, we _must_ work within our constraints and attempt
to deliver if we are _ever_ to shake Ubuntu out of this
pattern.  Giving up will in frustration will leave us
with exactly _nothing_ to build upon from here.

> On Oct 2, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Étienne Bersac wrote:
> > The direction say skin, not pink. And skins have such pinkness only in
> > cartoons !

It is _exactly_ the hue in the 6.06 lsplash, of which there are
two.  Also, people are bandying about the 'skin' comment
in a very loose manner.

The last time I checked, human skin comes in a few different
varieties -- we should probably be sensitive to that.

> On Mon, 2006-02-10 at 13:15 +0200, Frank Schoep wrote:
> I understand your concern with the pink shade, that's why I wrote
> Troy's current version might be a "wee bit too pink", but on my
> (admittedly, Apple) screen the color of Troy's GDM theme matches the
> highlight of the Dapper login splash very closely.

It is _exactly_ the hue in the 6.06 lsplash, of which there are
two.

> On Mon, 2006-02-10 at 13:15 +0200, Frank Schoep wrote:
> This leads to the idea of trying to mimic the login splash regarding
> the two color layout: adding a darker tone to the bottom left half
> and keeping the current color for a overlying curve.

Already done, but I am still fighting with the SVG
rendering ability of GNOME when bumped up against the
Inkscape output.  The browning around the corners was
the element that broke the native rendering.  I will
ship it as soon as I get it resolved.

We have _NOWHERE_ to go here regarding colour,
unfortunately.

We have exactly TWO tones from the lsplash.

One tone is darker, one is lighter.

The one in the sample the light one.
If we go with the darker one, sabdfl will probably
not like it as he prefers the lighter one.
I would quote the countless mails, but I don't have
the time right now.

Again, we started out of the gate _without_
an adhered to palette.

So, if we sample DIRECTLY from the source image that
meets approval, it _is_ what it _is_.

Further along these lines -- the other tone is actually
in the yellowy hue.  This results in the famous
'baby puke' colour.  I would have done it in the darker
tones, but I am aware of sabdfl's preference for the
lighter one regarding GDM implementations.

It is simply not our decision.

Of course, we could also just pick colours at random
and integrate them into the Ubuntu palette.  I think
we have already seen the result of that with Dapper's
work.  Perhaps even getting a consistent colour palette
for Edgy is a success.  Not exactly a huge step forwards,
but forwards it be.

This was the whole point of the _entire_ process all
along, which, unfortunately, was apparently undervalued.
Pick a reason / object / goal to project with the
design.  Consider motifs / palettes / approaches that
might convey the meaning.  Design.  Get feedback
and proceed down a more refined path.

Art & Design 101.  In this case, the preceding
elements would more aptly be described as Art &
Design 1.

The checkpoints were _NOT_ in there for the
artists / designers.

Sincerely,
TJS