[xubuntu-users] How to get Ubuntu "Network" settings in xubuntu?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Jan 24 17:02:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 09:42:19AM -0600, Victor Forberger wrote:
> On 1/24/20 4:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:30:59AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >> I run xubuntu 19.10 on my laptop.  I want to set it up as a WiFi
> >> hotspot but all the instructions I can find are for Ubuntu using the
> >> "Network" settings GUI.  How can I get to that in xubuntu?
> >>
> > OK, I've worked out a bit of it.  Just open the Network Manager panel
> > and configure a new WiFi connection set as a 'Hotspot'.
> >
> > However I'm still stuck on one rather fundamental thing, how do you
> > turn the hotspot on and off?
> >

> I don't think there is an on/off setting. Rather, you
> re-configure/change the wifi setting from Network Manager (that is,
> change hotspot to something else).

That doesn't work at all, if you 'enable WiFi' it just grabs the first
Wifi signal it can see and connects to that.  If you explicitly tell
it to 'connect' to Hotspot it very often spits out your selection and
connects to something else.

The Ubuntu 'Network' settings page would appear to have a button for
turning hotspot on and  off but I can't find an equivalent in xubuntu.

I have actually found that nmcli can be used to turn it on and off too.

--
Chris Green