[xubuntu-users] binding action to mouse button?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jan 9 17:40:28 UTC 2019

On Wed 2019-01-09 (17:48), Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> After upgrading from Xubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 xbindkeys does not work any
> more for me.
>
> I have used xbindkeys to bind a specific program to the mouse button 12
> (yes, my mouse has this key).
>
> In debug mode I can see:
>
> framstag at diaspora:~: xbindkeys -n -v
> displayName = :1.0
> rc file = /local/home/framstag/.xbindkeysrc
> rc guile file = /local/home/framstag/.xbindkeysrc.scm
> getting rc guile file /local/home/framstag/.xbindkeysrc.scm.
> WARNING : /local/home/framstag/.xbindkeysrc.scm not found or reading not allowed.
> 3 keys in /local/home/framstag/.xbindkeysrc
>
> min_keycode=8     max_keycode=255 (ie: know keycodes)
> "xbindkeys_show"
>     Control+Shift + q
> "xmessage xxx"
>     m:0x0 + b:12   (mouse)
> "xclip -selection clipboard -o|xmessage -nearmouse -default okay -file -"
>     m:0x1 + b:2   (mouse)
> starting loop...
>

> But nothing happens when I click the mouse button 12 and When I hit
> [Ctrl] {Shift] [Q]
> I see:
> ^Q

I found a workaround (fix?)!

framstag at diaspora:~: xbindkeys -k
Press combination of keys or/and click under the window.
You can use one of the two lines after "NoCommand"
in $HOME/.xbindkeysrc to bind a key.
"(Scheme function)"
    m:0x10 + c:24
    Mod2 + q

But what I have typed in was simple "q" and NO additional modifier key!
This means: xbindkeys sees a "Mod2" key, which I have not pressed!

I then added Mod2 to my .xbindkeysrc, like:

"xmessage xxx"
  Mod2 + b:12

And now it works! But why...?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<20190109164836.GA17813 at tik.uni-stuttgart.de>