[xubuntu-users] I want beep on my xfce4-terminal

Michael Höhne mih-hoehne at web.de
Sat Aug 17 22:28:33 UTC 2019

Hello Pali,

> Here on Xubuntu I wish to hear too the beep on my Xfce4-Terminal. How
> to set it up?
>
> I installed the beep application.
>
> I set up the xfce-terminal for visible and audible bell too.
>
> But, I can't hear the beep. Why?

Ihave asked the same question long ago. I found some interesting
informations about the way "pulseaudio" works and found some commands
which do the job:

If you really want to hear the beep as an error-signal in the
terminal, you have to type the following commands:

First the command which loads a sound-sample as the bell-sound.
Replace  "/home/Michael/Sound/ShortBeep.ogg" with a sound file you
like:

	pactl upload-sample /home/Michael/Sound/ShortBeep.ogg bell

Now activate the bell-sound whith the command

	pactl load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell

Now you should hear the sound, if your shell has something to tell
e.g when you press the cursor-right-key at the end of your
command-line ;-)

This doesn't do the trick for the "beep"-command!

I installed the soundplaying command "music123" and defined an alias:

	alias beep='music123 /home/Michael/Sound/ShortBeep.ogg'

Now "beep" is an alias and will do the trick the same way as your
terminal.

Not nice, but it works.

Regards,
Michael