[xubuntu-users] xUbuntu on Asus Tuf 505DU-EB74

Linux O'Beardly linux.obeardly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 04:27:48 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I'm new to xUbuntu.  I've been a Debian user for over 20 years, and as of
recent have mostly been using MX Linux and/or Devuan. I recently purchased
a new laptop, the Asus Tuf 505DU-EB74 with a Ryzen 7 3750H (RX Vega 10 GPU)
and a Nvidia GTX 1660ti. None of my current systems will install cleanly,
and even after manually rolling a new kernel, I could not get most of the
hardware to function properly.  After installing xUbuntu on this machine,
and then updating the kernel with Ukuu, which worked flawlessly, everything
seemed to work as expected.  However, given the fact it has a monster video
card in it, I was hoping to install a proprietary driver to be able to game
on it.  However, when I go to "Software and Updates" and hit the
"Additional Drivers" tab, there are no drivers available.  The OS obviously
recognizes the card as it uses the nouveau driver, but it confuses me as to
why it doesn't offer more options? Is this one of those things where I need
to add an additional repository?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
--
Linux O'Beardly
@LinuxOBeardly