[xubuntu-users] Installation questions

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Apr 8 12:22:18 UTC 2019

Hi,

people who worry about a write cycle related lifespan of SSDs and treat
SSDs with kid gloves make their lives painful for no reason. It's also
not worth to worry about less fast and very fast SSDs, since even a
"slow" SSD won't be the performance bottleneck.

At the moment I'm using 4 internal SSDs and no internal HDD at all.
Backups and archiving is done on external HDDs.

I'm running Arch Linux and Ubuntu 16.04 on the same machine. On both
installs I'm using periodic trim via fstrim.service, fstrim.timer.

Both installs are copies from HDDs, so apart from taking care about
trimming, there was nothing else to consider. I'm assuming that the
default mount does use "relatime", some of my partitions are mounted
with "noatime", this is pro-audio related and was chosen when I used
HDDs, not to protect the SSDs.

I don't know anything about UEFI, but that I don't need it for my Linux
installs, so I have got no reason to use it.

For the SSDs of my choice I don't need to worry about an incomplete
smartctl data base, since the vendor provides a program to check smart
information, to do firmware upgrades while the SSDs are in use etc.:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi ocz-ssd-utility | head -6
Name            : ocz-ssd-utility
Version         : 2.3.2963-2
Description     : A GUI based tool for managing OCZ SSD including
firmware and BIOS updates.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://ocz.com/us/download/
Licenses        : custom:OCZ EULA

Bought 03.02.2017, OCZ TL100 240GB 77,95€ Health 65%, Power-On Hours Count 15169, Host Writes 278773, Bad Block Count 0
Bought 27.07.2017, OCZ TL100 240GB 86,50€ Health 86%, Power-On Hours Count 12289, Host Writes 107154, Bad Block Count 0
Bought 25.07.2018, OCZ TR200 240GB 49,98€ Health 83%, Power-On Hours Count  5645, Host Writes 201040, Bad Block Count 0
Bought 07.01.2018, OCZ TR200 240GB 37,90€ Helath 91%, Power-On Hours Count  2127, Host Writes  84537, Bad Block Count 0

Today's price of the TR200 (the successor of the TL100) is 34,50 € by
the same dealer. Only 100% good reviews. I had HDDs that didn't get 2
years old, some even didn't make it for a day, while at least one HDD is
way more than two decades old. I don't have much experiences with SSDs,
but I'm already satisfied.

Regards,
Ralf