[xubuntu-users] long delay on operations

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 24 13:49:05 UTC 2018

On 09/21/2018 07:24 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> xubuntu 18.04  I am experiencing long delays, some over 1 minute to open
> a file, search for a web page, like g??g??.com)
>
> I ran htop and found several mysql programs running taking 15% of the
> memory.
>
> I was unable to kill them.  No errors shown.
>
> I am not running mysql as far as I know.
>

> What's up?
>
> john

John,

The mysql stuff is probably running because of something else -- a
server of some kind or a search tool. For instance, owncloud clients and
servers depend on mysql.

mysql almost always runs as a special user of some kind, so you will
need to use sudo kill PROCESS_NUMBER to properly kill any instances of it.

Try looking at your log files in /var/log to see how software is
starting up on your computer.

Also, look at your /etc/sysctl* and systemd files and directories for
any additions that reference database-type programs.

modules-load.d and modprobe.d inside /etc may also have strange additions.

Obviously, be extremely cautious about changing anything in these
directories (web search the hell out of any questions you have and
backup anything you change so that you can restore from a terminal if
things go haywire). You can easily screw your computer over by fussing
around in these directories.

- Victor

Victor Forberger
vforberger at fastmail.fm