[xubuntu-users] Light locker issue on fresh install

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 1 15:20:53 UTC 2018

On 10/31/18 3:35 PM, Sharad Mittal wrote:
> Thanks Victor. I was just slightly bummed by it happening on 2 fresh
> installs. And wanted to report that I did find a workaround in case
> other users are experiencing it as well.
>
> Curious - how can I check if they are overlapping?
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:58 PM Victor Forberger
> <vforberger at fastmail.fm <mailto:vforberger at fastmail.fm>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/31/18 1:45 PM, Sharad Mittal wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     > I'm new to Xubuntu. Installed it on 2 laptops. I must say I'm
>     impressed
>     > with the lightness of the OS on an old Acer S3 with 4GB.
>     >
>     > Both installs had problems with locking the session - screen went
>     blank.
>     > I went to TTY1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and back to X to get the display back -
>     > where it said on a black screen something like - "Session is locked.
>     > Wait few seconds". And then I would get the regular password screen.
>     >
>     > Installing gnome-screensaver (which required no dependencies) and
>     > unchecking light locker from startup applications works like a charm.
>     >
>     > Are Xubuntu folks aware of this? Didn't find it much in my google
>     searches.
>     >

>     testing is underway for an xfce-specific screensaver:
>
>     https://bluesabre.org/2018/10/15/xfce-screensaver-0-1-0-released/
>
>     The problem you describe, however, is probably related to
>     power-management. Make sure your have either power manager or
>     light-locker in control of separate functions -- that is, that the two
>     don't overlap with each other in trying to control the same thing.
>
>     - Victor

Overlap occurs when both power save and light locker are "in control" of
the same setting. For instance, you want to make sure that light locker
is set to control locking the screen and that power saver is NOT checked
to control locking the screen. Or, vice versa.

Unfortunately, I switched to Xscreensaver, so I can't show you specific
conflicts or settings.

- Victor

Victor Forberger
vforberger at fastmail.fm