[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu on the Raspberry Pi 2/3/3B+

Adam Smith blondesaluki at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:06:32 UTC 2018

>What I'd be extremely interested in, is a xubuntu rpi3 aarch64 disk
>image that "just works", like the fedora 28 aarch64 minimal one:

Eric,

Well the idea is to have something that "just works".  Whether a disk
image is the best way to deliver an os is open for some debate.  There
are pros and cons to an installer vs disk image.

What we're seeing on the list at the moment is early adoption issues.
It's my fault, I should of told Yvo that they need the bootcode.bin
file on the usb drive too.  I hadn't really expected people to be
copying the bootcode.bin file to SD cards to enable usb booting.
Maybe I over-estimated how many people are using and know how to do
usb booting on the Pi.  But that is the idea of asking people to test
the installer, to throw up these issues.

Note opensuse have an iso/usb installer too.  It makes sense as
efi/grub2 is adopted more on the Pi and usb is enabled by default on
the new Pi 3B+.

It is possible to create a disk image with the live-build package.
There are some instructions on the Ubuntu raspberry pi wiki page that
can be adapted.  Debian have a really good guide to live-build if you
want to have a go yourself.

It's also possible to create an OEM disk image with my installer.  You
just need to add the correct parameter to the cmdline.txt file.
Something that could be explored if people really can't get on with
the installer as it is at the moment.

The installer is not official and I don't anticipate high numbers of
people using it unless it gets picked up by omgubuntu or something
like that.  It's just my own experiment on how the Pi could be
incorporated into standard Ubuntu installers (ubiquity and the debian
installer).  I don't think many people are aware that you can run
Ubuntu arm64 on the Pi and this is another reason for the installer.
I'd much prefer people to use official media.  If you know your way
around arm64 then please add to the Ubuntu wiki instructions as it is
just my ramblings at the moment.

Adam