[xubuntu-users] Firefox using loads of memory.

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Aug 14 12:42:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 13:11:05 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>On 14/08/18 12:39, lefty wrote:
>> On 08/14/2018 05:56 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
>>> One of the reasons I trashed FF and switched to chromium-browser.
>>
>> otoh, Google....
>
>Yeah, something to suffer for the convenience...

So what? I can't stand burger menus, but regarding "Google", Firefox
isn't better. Disabling all that Google crap that ships with Firefox is
a never ending building lot, let alone that some distros (e.g. Ubuntu)
don't compile with ALSA and/or jack support, so if you don't use that
pulseaudio crap on e.g. a real-time audio machine, you need to try
https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse. It's not granted  that Firefox with
ALSA and/or jack support works properly and also not that apulse does
the job. Btw. I dislike the history of Firefox, since it lost focus,
already a long time before Firefox became unstable. If you search for
something, you found it and click the URL and after that you want to
click the URL below in the history, you need to start searching again.

1. Start Firefox

2. In the bar where you usually type the URL, type

   about:config

   and enter. Accept "the risk".

3. In the search bar type

   google

Is safebrowsing a useful feature or does it just offend privacy? It's
just a rhetorical question.

Firefox is _dead_, it at least is unstable on Linux and iOS. The forge
Pale Moon isn't much better and IceCat is a PITA.

The latest releases of QupZilla were unstable, but the successor Falkon
is stable again.

So for general Internet usage, I recommend using Falkon and for audio
and video I recommend Chrome (not Chromium).

Depending on your needs you could test other, such as Vivaldi, too.