[xubuntu-users] 16.04 review and and 17.04 install notes

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Wed May 3 16:11:22 UTC 2017

Hi all,

A recent review of Xubuntu 16.04 on older hardware is available at

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/eeepc-xerus.html

And, I got my lenovo desktop up and running with Xubuntu 17.04. Power
management issues from 16.10 and 16.04 are gone. Thanks.

But, the system load monitor panel plugin (configured to show a red bar
for CPU, green for memory, and yellow for swap) is not displaying
correctly (plus, mouse-over no longer supplies readouts of CPU, memory,
or swap usage). For a pic of the display problems, see
https://linuxatty.wordpress.com/thesetup/.

I am also having trouble with Dropbox not displaying properly (the red ΓΈ
box in the panel). None of the recommended fixes -- see, e.g.,
http://www.webupd8.org/2016/06/fix-dropbox-indicator-icon-and-menu-not.html
-- work for me.

Also, Xubuntu 16.04.2 on my laptop via Parallels is working great.

- Victor

--
Victor Forberger
vforberger at fastmail.fm