[xubuntu-users] Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit

Istimsak Abdulbasir saqman2060 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 18:52:05 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> A rather odd request. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 which I rescued from
> oblivion last year when an office was being cleared out. I hurriedly
> installed Xubuntu 16.04 on it and it's been fine.
>
> It now turns out that I used a USB containing the 32bit distribution
> instead of the 64bit, so I wanted to know if there is a way to "upgrade"
> in place from a 32bit 16.04 to 64bit 16.04
>
> The 745 runs a 64bit processor and architecture, from what I have been
> able to determine (at least, it boots from the 64bit ISO on a USB stick,
> and everything seems to run OK).
>
> Or do I have to do a from-scratch installation (not a major problem, as
> /home is on a separate partition, and most all the important stuff is on
> SVN repos).
>
> ///Peter

You would be better off reinstalling your system using a 64bit distro.
There has been talk about a successful upgrade from a 32bit core to a 64bit
one. Yet that procedure is not fail-proof and might require you to compile
your own kernel.

Debian has a procedure for this particular activity. I suggest, set aside a
24hour day to preform these steps. https://wiki.debian.org/Migrate32To64Bit.
Yet this is a debian procedure designed for debian systems. I still
wouldn't try it.

You be better off backing up any critical files you have (docs, scripts,
config files) and reinstalling a 64bit distro

Istimsak

"Collaboration is the new innovation" (Istimsak Abdulbasir, 2016)