[xubuntu-users] The Devil's Advocate

fred roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:43:13 UTC 2017

> On related but not so related.  I really hate that 99.99% of laptops now
are pre-installed with Windows.  And part of the cost of the device came
from the OS.  5 years ago, I can still buy laptops without bundled OS and
save some $$$.  Why is it assumed that all laptop users wants MSWindows?

Because Windows pays them to put it on the system and to remove it would
actually drive up the cost. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows

You could however do one of several things: Ask for the $$ when you remove
the OS (I think law requires in some cases to refund, but you have to
ask.), Just delete the disk when you build and remove ALL partitions, or my
personal fav,  Buy an extra HD (the stock one is usually too small for me
anyways.)

In the last one it has the advantage that when I remove the drive before
first start up I can save it.  If I switch to a new system in a couple of
years I can put the drive back in and sell/give it to someone and it is
like a new purchase.

Fred