[xubuntu-users] Rookie question on backups

Guang Chao guang.chao.1974 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 00:34:12 UTC 2017

For general backup to copy your files from one folder to another, or one
folder to another machine, rsync is great.  Just this one tool and a single
command can do many wonders.  Very efficient too as it transfer only files
that have changes.  For more complex stuff, there are many scripts
available on github that compress and rotate stuff.  For me, if all I need
to backup are small files, I actually use git, because it is historical.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Joao Monteiro <jmonteiro257 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Upfront "thank you" for your patience and understanding with a happy
> ex-windows-slave, linux-rookie-free-man...lol...
>
> Question:
>
> Windows versions aside, I was used to use the command prompt to select
> which files I wanted to backup both from my own as well as from any other
> user of the same machine and/or network.
>
> In Linux, though, I haven't yet figured how to do such a selective backup
> as a "batch-like" manner...
>
> I won't ask anybody to painfully type the instructions for me... I just
> ask that someone please post a link to "where" can I read and learn about
> how to do it, as I'm sure there's such a way in linux...
>
> On a slight different note... I have been reading all the recent problems
> from various users... and I'm lost...
>
> Coz I'm running xubuntu xfce on 4 different machines right now - 3
> laptops, 1 custom tower with intel core i7, ATI Radeon, Asus motherboard -
> and I don't have ONE single glitch anywhere....
>
> That said... after every install on each one of them, I go to a page that
> I saved (google "10 things to do after installing xubuntu xfce"), I do
> everything therein suggested/recommended, and voila... no glitches... just
> blissfully beautiful working machines...
>
> Oh... yes... screen tearing... not in the 10 things to do... But a search
> on screen tearing in xibuntu xfce brings up a script with full explanation
> and voila... screen tearing's gone.
>
> Kind regards to all
>
> Joao Monteiro

Guang