[xubuntu-users] Update failure / disk full error

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 6 13:16:24 UTC 2017

On 07/05/2017 09:04 PM, Roger wrote:
> I passed on an IBM ThinkPad to a friend after installing Xubuntu 14.04.
> He loves it. Problem is, updates fail. Looking on the CLI, I saw a
> disk-full error. Having encountered similar situations in the past,
> looked and found many old kernel-related files in /boot /src . . ..
> Deleting them showed >700k files deleted. My friend never would've
> figured this out. And, Ununtu-tweak choked and aborted.
>
> 1. Any ideas on how to fix this? End users should not have to face such
> an obscure problem.
>
> 2. I personally consider this a bug, and long term. Not sure if it has
> propagated forward to later versions. Not to forget that ubuntu 14.04 -
> after, it's an LTS release - is supported thru 2019.
> --
> Sent from my Android device using K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

I've consolidated prior posts about the kernel update problem on my blog:

https://linuxatty.wordpress.com//?s=kernel&search=Go

Also, the command

	sudo apt-get autoremove

can be used to clear out old kernels for 16.04 and above.

take care,
Victor

PS- While Ubuntu 14.04 is still supported, LTS releases for Xubuntu only
get three years of support. So, 14.04 is no longer getting security
updates. See https://xubuntu.org/help/ for which versions are currently
supported.

--
Victor Forberger