[xubuntu-users] xubuntu-users Digest, Vol 120, Issue 29

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 22 18:20:10 UTC 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:23:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>The reason I might over-equip a system with RAM is to prevent my being
>unable to do so later if the technology changes and that particular
>type of memory becomes unavailable; or (with a laptop, for example)
>because the cost of adding it later is unreasonably high.

Yesno!

>640TB is enough for anyone :-)

Yesno!

The 512 KiB RAM of my Atari 520 ST are replaced by 4 MiB of PC RAM.
This is the max RAM that could be used with Atari ST computers and
"normal" RAM for the ST wouldn't fit into the 520 ST case anyway. To
replace the RAM does cost absolutely nothing, as long as PC computer
trash provides RAM, that still is slow enough for usage with the Atari.
Sure, you need to have the skills to replace RAM by RAM that
requires soldering and cable connections. My ST's SCSI HDD has got a
size of around 42 MiB. IOW making plans for computers that are longer
used, than the industry wants us to use hardware, is not really
possible.

You could plan for a foreseeable time, depending on the kind of
usage, this could be much more than 10 years using the same machine, but
even after many years you unlikely will need more RAM for this machine.
It might be possible that you need to replace borked RAM, then it might
be comfortable, if the machine was over-equip, assuming no trash
computers from this generation should be available, to repair the
computer.