[xubuntu-users] partition intermittently mounts: dying hard drive or bug?

fred roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:36:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM, JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ugh, I thought that was the case.  Magnetic storage is inexpensive these
> days.  It'd be unprofitable for a manufacturer to develop a five-year or
> seven-year hard drive. :-(

IMO; get the enclosure vs. a dedicated hdd... this allows for just
purchasing the drive as the enclosure will last longer in most cases.
 about $40US for the enclosure.  I recycle older drives with life left in
them which have come from laptops (i.e. I upgrade my my laptop to ssd and
now have a 1G platter drive with <100 hrs on it., etc.) for general use.
More sensitive data get put on more reliable drives which I purchase for
the enclosure or in my case I purchased a dedicated NAS of 4G.

Glad I could help. Good luck and get those back-ups done.

-- Fred